The Active Learning Academy (ALA) faculty learning community is partnering this year with the Office of Academic Diversity and Inclusion (OADI) to provide an opportunity to focus on integrating active learning methodology and other evidence-based practices that transform student experiences to create equitable learning environments. Join the ALA this year and positively impact student engagement, sense of belonging, and success in your classrooms!
This year’s ALA will provide the opportunity for faculty to:
- Work in a small cross-disciplinary team to complete training that extends on the work of the Student Experience Project (2019-2021). Each member of the ALA will learn to implement foundational teaching practices that reinforce social belonging and growth mindset, how to provide feedback that fosters engagement, and how to cultivate a supportive and inclusive classroom that supports students' feelings of competency, value, and connection with others - all factors statistically linked with student perseverance.
- You will be assigned to a team upon acceptance to the ALA. Teams meet once a month, for 1-hour, at a time convenient to the team members.
- Collect data on your course(s) using a survey created by the Student Experience Project (SEP) in partnership with PERTS (Project for Education Research That Scales).
- You will administer the survey to your students 3 times each semester (early, mid, end). This should take your students no longer than 5-minutes to complete each survey cycle.
- Present on your experiences and the impact of the program on students at the end of the academic year ALA Spring Expo, held on Reading Day, Spring 2023.
- Earn a certificate in Supporting Diverse Learners.
To earn the certificate, ALA members must administer the survey, attend team meetings, and present at the end of year Spring Expo.
The application period to become a member of the 2022 - 2023 Active Learning Academy is now closed. If you submitted an application, you should hear from a CTL representative soon.
Note: We are also seeking facilitators to help lead ALA teams and desire representation from all colleges. Facilitators will guide small teams of faculty through monthly 1-hour training sessions on cultivating supportive and inclusive classrooms, lead discussions about implementing these practices in the classroom, and coordinate team participation in ALA events. If you are interested in a facilitator role, check the box indicating this on the application. The CTL will follow up with you with additional details about serving as a facilitator.
Applications will be accepted through May 6, 2022. Cohort acceptance and offers for Facilitator positions will be sent via email by May 13, 2022.
Save These Dates! Mark your calendars now.
Audience: All Active Learning Academy Members 2022 - 2023
- ALA Fall Kick Off-Event - August 19, 2022 11:00 am - Noon - Location TBD
Audience: Prospective Active Learning Academy Facilitators (*Facilitators will need to attend one orientation session and receive special training this year, we will offer two opportunities for this.*)
- ALA Facilitator Orientation Option 1 - Thursday, August 11, 2022, 4:00 - 5:30 pm, Center for Teaching and Learning Training Room, Kennedy 221
- ALA Facilitator Orientation Option 2 - Friday, August 12, 2022, 10:30 am - Noon, Center for Teaching and Learning Training Room, Kennedy 221